So as the world turns – my wife and I have committed to one another again – and have been together for 2 weeks (sometimes tumultous – sometimes plain awesome! Love – who can figure that one out?).
What I learned in my time in the real ‘wilderness’:
- Don’t think you cannot go back and change things – you can – and you can return to when your love was first born
- Admit to your every mistake – so you can do something called repentance and atonement – also so that you can change the behavior in you that plain and simple ‘sucks’
- Don’t sugarcoat the obvious – say it – and put everything on the table
- Action is everything – words mean only 50% of what it is you want to truly say/show
- Emotion is a very healthy thing for a guy to embrace and think through
- I don’t need to be ‘right’ – just loving
- Life can escape us as we let the years pass – grab each day and make it mean something
- 3 gifts we give – faith, love, and hope – the greatest of these is ‘love’ – but without the other 2 love stands no real chance
- Decision and discipline go hand in hand – and being disciplined is not as hard as we might think
- Being in shape makes life that much better – must be something about loving one’s self that builds self esteem
- Don’t lose your goals and dreams – without those you become the other person and under their whims (remember even dreams can be shared)
- Share everything – do not hold back what he/she may need to know
- Depression and loneliness really suck – but are great teachers
- Friends and family are very important
Life’s lessons are learned in dark and light places (thanks for that teaching Yael) – I have seen some dark and I have seen some light…and both have motivated me.
You can go back – to those things you remember about your first love (to that exact time)…the building blocks of a great relationship sometimes lay in those ruins untapped.