I notice a lot of American Christian people support Mike Huckabee – and for good cause – he is a man of faith ‘My faith is my life – it defines me. My faith doesn’t influence my decisions, it drives them’ (Huckabee). So it makes sense to support him of you are a person of Christian faith (not Muslim as we will see in a bit). But what are some of the stances Christians who support Mike are getting behind?
(1) Abortion: “I support and have always supported passage of a constitutional amendment to protect the right to life…I believe that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.…I have always been actively and aggressively pro-life” (Huckabee)
(2) Health Care: “We don’t need universal health care mandated by federal edict…We do need to get serious about preventive health care…I advocate policies that will encourage the private sector to seek innovative ways to bring down costs and improve the free market for health care services.” (Huckabee)
(3) Marriage: “I support and have consistently supported passage of a federal constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman” (Huckabee)
(4) Immigration: “In this age of terror, immigration is not only an economic issue, but also a national security issue…I oppose and will never allow amnesty.” (Huckabee)
(5) War: “As President, I will fight this war hard, but I will also fight it smart, using all our political, economic, diplomatic, and intelligence weapons as well as our military might…I will expand the army and increase the defense budget” (Huckabee)
(6) Israel: “As President, I will always ensure that Israel has access to the state-of-the-art weapons and technology she needs to defend herself from those who seek her annihilation” (Huckabee)
(7) Gun Control: “The Second Amendment is primarily about tyranny and self-defense, not hunting. The Founding Fathers wanted us to be able to defend ourselves from our own government, if need be, and from all threats to our lives and property…I consistently opposed banning assault weapons and opposed the Brady Bill.” (Huckabee)
He opposed a gun control bill – and there was just another shooting at shopping mall in Nebraska (and Huckabee was supporting automatic weapons) – that’s how many shootings in the last few years (obviously this is a problem in America)? He is pro-life but also pro-war – huh? Okay is murder bad or allowable in certain scenarios? He says a ‘no’ to universal health care but gives no real answers to the health care problem (let the market decide this). Wants to promote armed resistance in the Middle East – both in Iraq and around Israel. Seems to think gay marriage also leads to the destruction of the family – and provides no proof of it.
If his faith directs him – I will ask – as a Christian person (or a person of faith) – do these views represent you accurately? Or do I smell someone new pandering to the idea faith will get him elected? I don’t think this person is guided by faith but Republican initiatives and search for more power.
A politician next door
He’d set the Washington arena on fire
Thinks he’ll gladiate ’em
But they’re gonna make him a liar
Well, he’s a good ol’ boy
Who was born and raised
In the buckle ‘o the Bible belt
But remember when you step into the voting booth
He’ll never lie, he’ll just embellish the truth
Promises were made to be broken, huh?
You’ve got to play the game to win
When you need supporting
Tell ’em that you’re born again
Whatever happened to sin?
Steve Taylor (Whatever Happened to Sin? – 1982)